Magic Jack Complaint
(UPDATE) To My -Magic Jack Costs Me $54.97 In Electricity! Review - Magic Jack VoIP
I bought the Magic Jack from the web site and it shipped a few days later. It arrived within a few days and I hooked it up. The install is very easy, just plug it in and let it download and install some drivers. That part is easy. The service itself works well. Very clear calls and no static. It did bother me that I had to leave my computer on all of the time to use the service. It also annoyed me that the software wanted to pop-up every time the computer was Turned-On, A Call Was Made, Or A Call Was Received; but I found software that stopped that. You still have to sit through the splash-screen at start-up, but with the free third-party blocking software that can be found by doing a Google search, it prevents the Magic Jack software from constantly popping up. Besides the Electricity rates, the fact that my computer was open to Hacker attacks 24/7 worried me a lot! Since I wouldn't be there to stop the Hacker, they could just tear my computer apart. Not to mention anyone who came into my house, now had access to my private info. And NO! A software Firewall isn't going to offer you complete protection! Even a Hardware Firewall isn't perfect. But I still ran my computer; not 24/7, but most of the time. When my electricity bill came in, it was $54.97 higher then any other month going back over a year. So I decided to get ride of the Magic Jack, but I chose instead to try it for one more month on the idea of running my PC Turned-Down. Which I did, and while the rates were lower, they were still at least $20.00 higher a month (I Can't Give An Average Because I Didn't Run The Service For The Needed 7 to 8 Months.) But since these 2 monthly bills were both higher then any other bill, it makes sense it was my PC being on 24/7. Because while you can tune your PC to turn off power to the Hard-Drive, DVD-ROM Drive, ect; you can't let it goto Sleep or go into Stand-By Mode; because the Magic Jack won't work. So the PC HAS to remain on in such a way where it uses a bunch of power. The problem I have with all of this is that Magic Jack could create a router that would act like a Basic-PC and do these things without the hassle and added cost. The unit would cost more, but it would pay for itself within a month or two.
So The Pros:
1. Cheaply Priced Service.
2. Easy To Install & Setup.
3. Clear Calls, With Minimal Hiccups (Depending On Data Speeds)
1. Since the PC must by on to use the Magic Jack service, you will incur higher Electricity rates (RATES WILL DEPEND ON PC TYPE, PC AGE, ACCESSORY LOADS, LOCATION AND RATES FOR YOUR AREA, PERFORMANCE OF YOUR PC AND OTHER FACTORS. NO 2 CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THE SAME
SO FREAKIN STOP COMPARING MY RATES, WITH YOURS!!!!!!!)
2. Software Is Annoying! It wants to pop-up often. It has banners promoting Magic Jack services. Very slow start-up loading time, with drawn-out splash-screen.
3. PC must by ON to use the service. Can NOT be in Stand-By, or Sleep-Mode. 24/7 access to the Internet leaves your computer exposed to Hackers.
4. While there is Tech Support, it comes in the form of TEXT support through their web site. And the few times I asked for their help, they didn't have any idea what I was asking for. But the service is so cheap, so this problem isn't that major.
5. Since VoIP is Data Packages being send over the Internet, they CAN BE HACKED. And YES! VoIP services have been hacked; you can read reports of them. So while trying to eavesdrop on a Cell Phone or Landline call is difficult, it isn't all that hard to do with VoIP. I don't know how safe Magic Jack is, because there isn't much in the way of tech info, but it is still something to think about if your telling someone something that you don't want others to hear.
So is Magic Jack worth it? Yes and No. If your PC is on 24/7 anyway and you either have it Locked-Down, or just don't worry about hackers or eavesdropping. And if higher Electricity rates aren't that big of a deal, then it would be good. Or if you only plan to turn on your PC when you want to make calls; then it is a very good service. But, if you take into account the lack of security, the annoying software, the higher Electricity rates, on and on, then you might want to wait until the creators of Magic Jack make a Router that doesn't need a PC to operate.
Magic Jack isn't a bad service, it is just too problematic right now to for (((ME))). And, this is again MY review. So I'm sick of getting these people who don't even own Magic Jack who keep putting me down, or making it seem like I am lying. Which I shouldn't say "People", I should say "Persons", because it is the same 2 or 3 persons making fake account after fake account bashing my reviews. If you don't believe what I am saying, then go buy the device for yourself! No one is stopping you! Then you can post your own review, then see what it is like to post an HONEST review and catch H*LL for it! But if you took the time to go read through some forums, you would see my problems are VERY COMMON and not just some simple nagging that I chose to make up!
CONTACT THIS BUSINESS
BUSINESSES REPLY HERE
More Magic Jack reviews
- I love Magicjack.
- Bogus phone calls
- MAGIC NOT WORKING
- Magicjack website says: YOU CAN KEEP YOUR HOME PHONE NUMBER
- does not accept credit card
- Magic Jack Problems
- Frustrated because there is no phone customer service
- MagicJack Excellent Customer Service
- Unable to contact
- No Sound
- Magic Jack wants payment for shipping a replacement for a faulty device
- magic jack junk
- MagicJack subscription renewal
- Can't purchase IPP minutes
- international calls
- device doesnt recive calls
- Absolutely terrible
- Bad Review for Magic Jack Scam
- Magic Jack
- unable to update
- Magic jack drops
- my magic jack account has been under review for 217 days now
- Magic Jack doesn't work with satellite internet
- Sending Free Trial Back But Magic Jack Won't Transfer Remainder of 5 yr Subscription Back to...
- magic jack replacement
- Magic Jack Phone service
- Inadequate Magic Jack support
- Defective Magic Jack - Company will not replace unless customer pays shipping costs
- Jack is really magic
- magic jack
- Magic Jack Sucks
- Magic Jack Review
How It Works
COMPLAINTS RESOLVEDThousands of Businesses of all sizes and millions of customers use MeasuredUp
It's free and easy to put MeasuredUp to work for you